Luxury consignment shopping is exhilarating. Whether you are hunting for that perfect pump you saw in Vogue, chasing J.Lo’s Gucci sunglasses or are simply open to the fashion possibilities, no matter the mission, a smart shopper is always strategic.
1. Do your research. Madison Avenue on New York City’s Upper East Side hosts some of the city’s most sought after consignment boutiques. You owe it to yourself to check out at least 3 of them in one trip. This goes for any city. Google neighborhoods of interest to find the best re-sale retailers.
2. Make a list. Know what you want, and stick to it. Luxury consignment stores are nothing like Target. At Target, you go in with a plan to buy one item and walk out with 15 more. Impulse buys at luxury retailers can cost you a month’s worth of rent.
3. Set a budget. Need I say more?
4. Carry cash. This secret helps a girl avoid the smoking debit card and also helps you stay on budget.
5. Bring a fashion-forward friend. This secret goes without saying, as we usually shop in pairs. However, for consignment shopping, avoid bringing the “Yes, girl” friend along. Instead, invite the friend who’s brutally honest, she’ll help you avoid buying that dress that’s two sizes too small.
6. Know your designers. If you’re on the hunt for a Chanel jacket, it helps to know the retail price so that you aren’t blind to price gouging.
7. Try on EVERYTHING! If you’re a newbie to a select brand, be sure to try the piece on even if your pretty sure its your size. DVF’s size 6 may be H&M’s size 2.
8. Invest in what you love. If your gonna buy that Prada top, you’d better be proud of it!
9. Ask about their return policy. Very few shops like these have lenient return policies. Be aware of signs that read “ALL SALES FINAL”.
10. Join their mailing list! Most boutiques send out email blasts or postcards letting valued customers like you know when their having a sale. Take advantage, because close-out sales worth shopping usually only happen bi-annually.
Shop & Learn,